Katherine Moore & Katie Miyoshi

For this design, we decided to implement our design strategy and rules we had created from our own tessellating game. We assigned programming accordingly, so that purple was a private studying area, yellow was a learning cluster, white was interdisciplinary, and spaces without tiles were outdoor areas. Hence, allowing us to allocate and create the following rules:

  1. For every tile, at least one side of that piece cannot touch another tile.   Therefore, any interior space will be open an outdoor space. Early on, we had decided that students (really, humans) enjoy being surrounded by nature. Additionally, it was important that this occur so that when designing, each program has a connection to daylighting.
  1. Every white tile needs at least two sides of that piece touching a yellow. Hence an interdisciplinary tile must be connected to two different learning clusters. A learning cluster is a public area in which students come together in a social environment to learn, contrasting from the private areas in pink. The interdisciplinary tile allows the varying disciplines from each learning cluster to come together and work together to create something using each other’s strengths. This supports our ideas of school being a place of real preparation through intercommunication to advance as a society.
  1. Pink tiles cannot touch any other pink tiles. A cluster of private areas cannot be created, so that there is a majority of community learning clusters, encouraging learning through discussion.

These rules propelled us forward and gave us enough guidelines to make move after move. Afterward, we enforced another rule in which we would add the aluminum “connectors” after every four program tiles. After being satisfied with the lower level, we continued upward, moving up to three stories and beginning to create more interesting spaces, some being enclosed and others open.

This exercise allowed us to experiment with the rules we had created in a 3-dimensional outlet. Initially we were worried that perhaps our rules were too limiting, but found that it gave us direction, but still allowed a level of flexibility to play. In the end, we concluded that it was an excellent trial run and are more confident into moving forward with the design.