poster_FINAL

After the last class, my partner and I realized that our tile “game” is more of a puzzle instead of a game. There is no way to win; instead we encourage our players to discover three possible combinations of arranging our puzzle.

Originally, our puzzle was based on three rules:

[1] Every tile needs to have one blank side

[2] Every white tile needs to have two greens touching a side

[3] Pink tiles cannot touch other pink tiles

 

BOARD1

BOARD02

 

While we thought this was enough rules to play the game, we quickly found out that more guidelines were needed. Observing our peers play our puzzle made us realize that we did not indicate a proper stopping point. So people would keep playing building the puzzle until there were no more spots on the board. This resulted in similar patterns, which is the opposite of what we hoped to achieve. Also, the patterns that were being created did not reflect our overall goal. Each tile is assigned a color, with white being interdisciplinary space, pink being private/quiet space, and green being learning clusters. Because of rules and the number of tiles that we had, our peer were able to find loopholes, which resulted in solutions which had more pink tiles than we wanted or chains of tiles. Our main idea is to create a social environment, to help students learn how to communicate. This process is gradual though, which is important to have our pink spaces. We hope that more white and green tiles be in our patterns, because those are our social spaces.  

Immediately following the first trial run with our boards, we determined that the pentagonal tessellation was more successful than the diamond tessellation. Our peers agreed as well; they mentioned that the pentagon tiles were more fun to play with. Next we determined the size of our pieces. Every tile suits 30 people, so we cut the pink tiles in half. We realized that we needed to think about scale. We decided that the private/quiet space should be less than the learning clusters, based on our program design.

 

PIECESFULL

APART

 

To create a successful puzzle that would help us with our design process, my partner and I agreed that it was necessary that our puzzle could produce a number of flexible solutions. In order to do that, we modified our rules. Now our game is a two player game that consists of six rules:

[1] Take turns putting down tiles

[2] Every tile must touch another tile

[3] Every tile needs one blank side

[4] Every white tile needs two sides touching a green tile

[5] White tiles need to be in even pairs

[6] Pink tiles cannot touch other pink tiles

 

02

03

01

 

Also, our modified game now limits how many tiles a player gets. Based on several experiment test trials, we decided that there were  ideal amount of tiles is eight green, six white, and four pink. We wanted a certain program to be established, one that fosters communication and socialization within the students. In order to do that, the number of tiles that we gave each player restricts the amount of private spaces that can be formed and allows the player to determine sizes of public spaces. We are pleased with this new design, but we will experiment more to see if it is the best that it can be.